Barnes IP is changing the way IP services are delivered; our values and approach underpin everything we do.
Founded by Philip Barnes in 2019, Barnes IP is taking a fresh look at the world of IP. The company was formed out of large IP firm experience, combined with the knowledge that it could be done better. We take a genuine pride in providing the very best expertise in a truly new and commercially-relevant way.
Philip Barnes is widely recognised as one of the leading IP portfolio and strategy experts of his generation, having spent more than a decade advising as part of the largest, best known IP firms in the UK. He also worked in-house for a FTSE 100 global defence, aerospace and security company, plus as a P6 Examiner for the CIPA Patent Examination Board.
Together with the rest of the Barnes IP team, Philip understands what clients are trying to achieve at a scientific level, as well as commercially, and understands the technology as well as the law.
In 2019, Philip set out to change the way IP services are delivered, forming Barnes IP. Drawing on his deep understanding of the IP world, as well as the changing needs of clients, Barnes IP has stepped away from the traditional ‘big IP firm’ approach to offer a flexible, entrepreneurial, ‘can-do’ style with a deep understanding of client technology, as well as the law.
In addition to building a team of experts across the IP and sector disciplines, Barnes IP is pioneering flexibility and commercial practicality in the way it manages its client accounts and services. Clients praise Barnes IP for being a “breath of fresh air”, offering the best expertise in a way that works for them.
We’re on a journey with our clients and are committed to being there for the long-haul. This means not only helping to set the IP strategy but supporting at every stage of its delivery too.
Our values and approach underpin everything we do:
- We listen, understand and then take a holistic approach – supporting each clients’ business and acting as an integral and embedded part of your team.
- We stand out from the competition – we’re committed to getting the right results for our clients, combining a rigorous application of the law with achieving every commercial objective.
- We make it possible – even if others say it can’t be done. But that doesn’t mean we’re ‘yes men’. We work with each client individually to both match and manage expectations, as well as to maintain strong, long relationships.
- We’re committed to being there for the long-haul – not only helping to set the IP strategy but supporting at every stage of its delivery too.
- We don’t stick to traditions, just because ‘that’s how it has always been done’ – we’re focused on delivering a fast, cost-effective, expert service, seeking out ways to use technology and internal systems to get the best results.
- We talk at the same technical level as our clients – this means the technology as well as the law. Our clients value our integrity and understanding of what they’re trying to achieve at a scientific level, as well as commercially. This means the relationships between inventors and academic establishments as well as the commercial organisations involved and the impact of the wider marketplace.
- We view our work as a service, not a transaction – we understand that our clients are concerned about protecting their IP without ‘burning money’ and wading through a complicated disconnect between the law and commercial practicalities. We work hard to take this worry away.
- We care deeply about our clients – we make time to know and understand them properly. We don’t just want them to think of us as their in-house team, we want them to feel like we are, too.
OUR SISTER COMPANIES
Agora IP offers IP broking, patent pools, IP sourcing and IP acquisition services to clients, helping get your latest invention or idea in front of potential buyers.